The current worldwide travel warning for unnecessary, touristy trips also exists in Germany until the end of April. In order to regulate the containment of travel also within Germany, the individual federal states have prohibited the accommodation of overnight guests for tourism reasons throughout the country. When operating for other expressly non-touristic purposes or in necessary cases, the hygiene regulations of the RKI (Robert Koch Institute) must be urgently taken into account. The only differences between the federal states are the exact wording of the regulations and the period of validity of the restrictions, which vary between 18.04.,19.04. and 20.04.2020. Non-compliance with the new regulations may result in fines of up to € 25,000, and fines or imprisonment for up to five years.
Current situation in tourism
The local, long-distance and freight traffic of Deutsche Bahn is stable. Only a few sprinter trains and the usual relief trains are suspended. At present, however, there are restrictions in cross-border rail traffic due to official orders. In many countries, increasingly drastic restrictions in international air and travel traffic and quarantine measures are to be expected. Detailed information on the individual countries can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de). Holidaymakers who are currently still abroad are urged to return as soon as possible. Commuters can travel within Germany and, if necessary, cross the borders, but must expect increased controls.
The exact regulations of the individual federal states and the duration of the measures are listed below:
- (1) Journeys and journeys from a risk area abroad according to the RKI classification into or through the territory of the State of Baden-Württemberg are prohibited, with the exception of journeys to the place of work, the place of activity or employment, the place of residence or the place of destination or departure of a delivery of goods, and in cases of special hardship for private reasons (e.g. family death).
- Closure of restaurants and similar establishments such as cafés, ice-cream parlours, bars, shisha bars, clubs, discos and pubs, accommodation facilities, camping sites and camper van sites; accommodation may exceptionally be provided for business, official or, in cases of special hardship, private purposes and operation of coaches in tourist traffic.
- The operation of hotels and accommodation facilities and the provision of any accommodation for private tourist purposes is prohibited. This excludes hotels, lodging establishments and accommodation of any kind which exclusively receive business travellers and guests for non-private tourist purposes. –
- The operation of all facilities that do not serve the necessary purposes of daily life, but rather leisure activities, is prohibited. These include in particular clubs, bars, conference and event rooms, youth hostels and discotheques. –
- Leaving one’s own home is only permitted if there are good reasons. Good reasons include in particular the exercise of professional activities.
- Hotels and other accommodation establishments may not offer tourist accommodation. Opening is subject to the condition that precautions are taken to ensure hygiene, control access and avoid queues.
- Restaurants in the travel trade within the meaning of the Brandenburg Restaurant Act may only be opened to the public in accordance with the following hygiene standards: As far as facilities can be opened and services can be provided, this has to be done under strict observance of the necessary hygiene standards, the control of access and the avoidance of waiting queues. Under no circumstances may there be more than 10 people in waiting areas at any one time. A minimum distance of 1.5 metres must be maintained between persons.
- Operators of accommodation facilities, camping sites, caravan parks as well as private and commercial landlords of holiday apartments and houses and comparable offers are prohibited from accommodating persons for tourist purposes such as leisure travel. This rule also applies to persons already accommodated at the time of entry into force of this Regulation.
- Hotels may only cater for overnight guests with the proviso that overnight stays may only be offered for necessary and expressly not for tourist purposes. The places for overnight guests must be arranged in such a way that a distance of at least 1.5 metres between guests (at tables and standing places) is guaranteed.
- Accommodation services in the tourist accommodation industry may not be provided for tourist purposes. Before concluding an accommodation contract, the proprietor must inquire about the purpose of the accommodation of the guest and document this purpose together with the recorded personal data of the guest. Insofar as accommodation contracts were concluded at the time when this
- General Administrative Order came into force and the accommodation has begun, the accommodation must be terminated as soon as it is ensured that the guest can leave.
The operation of restaurants within the meaning of the Restaurant Act is prohibited. This also applies to restaurants and establishments where food is delivered for consumption on the spot, staff restaurants, canteens and restaurants in the accommodation industry (such as hotel restaurants).
- Accommodation offers are only allowed for necessary purposes. Accommodation offers for tourist purposes are not permitted.
- Restaurants within the meaning of the Hessian Restaurant Act, refectories, hotels and other businesses may only offer food and beverages for collection or delivery. Food and beverages may only be collected if it is ensured that the food and beverages are available without waiting time or the waiting areas are designed in such a way that a distance of at least 1.5 metres between the persons collecting the food and beverages is guaranteed, suitable hygiene measures are taken and notices of the necessary hygiene measures are posted.
- Operators of places of accommodation according to § 2 paragraph 1 BstättVO M-V (Accommodation Ordinance), such as hotels and guesthouses, and of comparable offers, campgrounds, caravan parks as well as private and commercial landlords of holiday apartments and comparable offers, such as homesharing, are prohibited from accommodating persons for tourism purposes. Guests who have already arrived must finish and leave their holiday by 19 March 2020 at the latest.
- Tourist trips for private purposes to the territory of the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern are prohibited. This applies in particular to journeys undertaken for leisure and holiday purposes and for further training purposes.
- Operators of accommodation facilities and comparable offers, hotels, camping sites, caravan parks as well as private and commercial lessors of holiday apartments, holiday rooms, overnight accommodation and sleeping accommodations and comparable offers are prohibited from accommodating persons for tourism purposes.
- Persons who have already been accommodated must make their return journey by 19.03.2020, if possible, and by 25.03.2020 at the latest.
- Consumption is not permitted within a radius of 50 metres from these establishments.
- For hygienic reasons, cashless payment is strongly recommended.
- Accommodation offers for tourist purposes are prohibited.
- The operation of restaurants, pubs, snack bars, refectories, canteens, pubs, cafés and other catering facilities is prohibited. Notwithstanding the above, the supply of food and beverages as well as out-of-home sales by restaurants, pubs, snack bars, canteens, bars, cafés and canteens are permitted if the distances required to prevent infection are observed. Consumption is prohibited within a radius of 50 metres around the catering establishment.
- Accommodation offers for tourist purposes are prohibited. This also applies to the operation of caravan parks and camping sites. Furthermore, the necessary hygienic requirements must be observed.
- The operation of hotels, lodging establishments and campsites and the provision of any accommodation for private tourist purposes are prohibited. Deviating from this, the operation is only permitted for necessary journeys for professional reasons or in the case of irrefutable personal reasons of the travellers.
- Leaving home without a valid reason is prohibited. Reasonable grounds include, in particular, the exercise of professional activities (this also includes travelling to and from the place of work).
- Accommodation offered by hotels and lodging establishments may only be used in Germany for necessary and expressly not for tourist purposes. If necessary, the health authorities may impose further requirements on hotels and accommodation establishments in order to minimise the risk of spreading the corona virus, for example by regulating the number of visitors, hygiene measures and instructions.
- The operators of accommodation facilities, such as hotels, youth hostels, family holiday homes, pensions and comparable offers, camping sites, mobile home holiday homes, holiday home parks, holiday apartments, holiday rooms as well as accommodation and sleeping accommodation (homesharing) and comparable offers are prohibited from accommodating persons for tourism purposes.
- Travelling to the territory of the state of Saxony-Anhalt for tourist purposes is prohibited. This also applies to journeys undertaken for leisure purposes, for further training purposes or for the acceptance of avoidable or deferrable measures of medical care, prevention or rehabilitation.
- Operators of accommodation facilities, camping sites, caravan sites, yacht and sport boat harbours, as well as private and commercial lessors of holiday apartments and houses and comparable offers, are prohibited from accommodating persons for tourism purposes. Facilities that serve exclusively tourist purposes are to be closed. This also applies to the operation of facilities for the accommodation of children and young people which are not subject to authorisation, such as in particular youth leisure facilities, youth education facilities, youth hostels, school country homes, holiday camps and youth tent camps.
- Compliance with the necessary hygiene standards, in particular the recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute, must be ensured. The relevant recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute must be taken into account in an appropriate form.
- Gastronomic areas of hotels and other accommodation establishments are free to provide food exclusively to overnight guests. A distance of at least 1.50 m between the tables must be guaranteed.
- Overnight accommodation offers in the accommodation industry for tourist purposes are prohibited.